Outdoor furniture needs to withstand all types of weather, including intense sun, rain, snow, and other weather elements. It also must withstand the wear and tear of yearly use.
When considering items such as cushions and pillows for outdoor use, it’s wise to choose a fabric that repels water. And adding cording or piping to cushions creates a fashionable decorative edge. Not only does it look good, but it’s durable as well.
Welt Cord Decorative Ideas
The cord can serve several purposes when it comes to decorating. But you need to know which the best cord is to purchase for your purposes. Options include a single braided welt cord or a double braided cord. Each has a different purpose, depending on if you have outdoor or indoor furniture.
Before choosing any edging, get an idea of what will work best for you. Consider the following:
1. Upholstery and Cotton Welt Cord – a cotton welt cord is the most popular choice for outdoor furniture. Cotton is a strong fabric, but it needs a top coating resistant to all types of weather.
2. Upholstery and Foam Welt Cord – outdoor cushions and pillows are well suited for a foam welt cord. Foam is waterproof and can withstand all types of weather. It’s a good choice for patio and backyard furniture.
3. Upholstery and Vinyl Welt Cord – outdoor furniture for cold weather benefits from a vinyl welt cord.
- The cord is strong and works well on cushions and pillows.
- Vinyl isn’t recommended for warm weather.
- Heat makes vinyl lose flexibility and texture.
Which Welt Cord to Choose?
As a rule of thumb, remember the following:
- Choose a vinyl welt cord if your furniture is outside during cold weather. Avoid vinyl on outdoor furniture during summer.
- Choose a foam welt cord when you need something waterproof. Foam can withstand hot and cold weather.
- Choose a cotton welt cord for outdoor furniture used in all types of weather. But remember that cotton welt cord needs a protective coating. The coating helps cotton withstand various kinds of weather conditions.
Contact DAPA Products to Order Fenestration Products
Contact DAPA Products today to discuss the welt cording for your project. We have several upholstery welting cord options for your consideration. DAPA can also help you decide if cotton, vinyl, or felt is best for your project. Call 1-800-229-3181 or use our contact form to discuss pricing information.